I have a whole post on my house mustard, Moutard d’Albany, on the blog but actually add a refined recipe here, for organization’s sake and so I can continue to adapt.
Make your own mustard. It is more delicious, more nuanced and more fun. To be honest, everything tastes better when you have learned to make it yourself and then adapted and tweaked the recipe to be your own. Even when, technically, it isn’t as good, you are blissfully unaware.
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup brown mustard seed
3 crushed cloves
10 cracked peppercorns
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 sprig chervil
1 branch thyme
2 sprigs tarragon
1 garlic clove, minced
2 bay leaves
- Heat apple cider vinegar and honey to just below boil.
- Turn off heat and add rest of ingredients.
- Leave on counter, covered, for two or three days.
- Remove bay leaves and process in Vitamix (or blend and strain) and refrigerate for 75 days.
- It’s mustard, I am sure you can manage.s