I’m a northerner, so I don’t get down on myself for not really understanding the difference between a piccalilli and a chow chow. And a relish for that matter. I chalk it up to not really understanding the difference between a buckle, a crisp, a brown betty, a crumble or a grunt.
I do know the difference between a Sauce Colbert and a Sauce Foyot. So I guess it is all a matter of perspective.
That said, here is my Chow Chow recipe, which I turn to when I have lots of random excess green tomatoes.
5 pounds green tomatoes, chopped
2 medium heads green cabbage, chopped
10 onions, chopped
4 red bell peppers, chopped
3 jalapenos, chopped
1/3 cup kosher salt
6 cups cider vinegar
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons tumeric
2 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons celery seed
- Toss vegetables and salt in a big bowl and let sit overnight in the fridge.
- Drain vegetables and pour into a large pan.
- Add rest of ingredients and cook slowly for 15 minutes.
- Process 10 minutes.
- This gets better with age so do try to lose it in the back of the pantry.
- Use wherever you would use relish.
- Try to think of new places to use relish since you probably don’t avail yourself of enough relish in your life. I know I don’t.